BIND responding slow or not at all....

Johan Louwers louwersj at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 14:51:14 UTC 2008

Hi,
I have currently a problem with my 2 bind servers on gentoo.
Pubmai01 is BIND 9.3.2_p1
Pubmai02 is BIND 9.3.3

When I do a local dig to a local address I get the response directly
pubmai02# dig someserver.mydomain.com

using the IP adres of the name server I am logged in to is also
working and I get the answer directly
pubmai02# dig @10.32.5.2 someserver.mydomain.com

using only dig gives after some time
pubmai02# dig
; <<>> Dig 9.2.3 <<>>
;;  global options:   printcmd
;;  connection timed out; no servers could be reached
pubmai02#

when I query for a external domain, lets say google.com most of the
times I do get the same result as when I execute only dig. Sometime
however I do get a result, it is quite random. However every time I do
a request this way it do’s not matter if I get a result or not, I do
get a entry in the query log.
pubmai02# dig @10.32.5.2 google.com

I can do all those things on the local machine and I can also do it
from the other name server… same result… and always a entrie in the
query log. However, when I try it from an other network segment like
for example a machine with IP 10.32.2.19 I do not get a result and I
do not see a entry in the query log. I can however access the machine
by telnet/ssh/ftp/ping…. Etc etc….

The strange thing is that those problems where there as from Saturday
morning 7.07 suddenly and we did not have had any changes in the
network infrastructure or on the bind servers as far as we know. We
did however notice that emerge is scheduled in crontab by a former
system engineer from what we did not notice until now…
Do’s anyone can give us a clue on what this might be causing and how
we can solve the problems?

Thanks already,
Regards,
Johan Louwers.