performance issues with 9.5.0-P1

Tom Mueller t.mueller at strato-rz.de
Mon Jul 14 17:05:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

Jim Gogan schrieb:
> Wondering if anyone else has encountered what I would consider
> significant performance issues with BIND 9.5.0-P1.   On three different
> Solaris systems, each one averaging about 270-280 queries per second,
> since the patch install, the load average has gone from acceptable to
> not-so-much (now averaging between 2-4) with named hitting between
> 49-90% of the CPU
I had run first the bind-9.4.2-P1 (which throws obviuosly ignoring the
ulimit settings 'too many open file discriptors') and then the bind-9.4.3b2.
The bind-9.4.2-P1 used at a query rate around 1000queries/sec more than
700 sockets all the time (up to >980 throwing errors).
The bind-9.4.3b2 uses at the same machine under the same query load
between 200 and al little bit more than 400 sockets at a time.
Because the bind-9.4.2-P1 throws the errors after a short time (so I'd
killed it very quickly)  I can't tell about the differences on the
system load, but the bind-9.4.3b2 seems to be very nice.

best regards

--
Tom Mueller
Entwicklung Dedicated Servers