Vulnerability to cache poisoning -- the rest of the solution

Lakes, Dale Dale.Lakes at AntaresSolutions.com
Mon Jul 14 17:50:44 UTC 2008

Latter day "stateful" firewalls will keep track of UDP connections in
their state tables.

No firewall reconfig was needed after I applied the -P1 patch.

Dale Lakes
Network Engineer
Antares Management Solutions

-----Original Message-----
From: bind-users-bounce at isc.org [mailto:bind-users-bounce at isc.org] On
Behalf Of Jeff Lightner
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 1:10 PM
To: Peter Laws; bind-users at isc.org
Subject: RE: Vulnerability to cache poisoning -- the rest of the
solution

I understand the theory so was seeking positive confirmation on the
specific questions I asked which still haven't been answered.

Someone stated positively that I couldn't have had queries or transfers
working with port firewall restricted to port 53 so I was looking for
more information about that statement as obviously my BIND is working.

Separately I was then also asking for details about what should be
opened for recursive queries.  Is it udp only?  Tcp & udp?   Finally I
was asking for specific range information.   That is if I tell it random
does that mean it automatically goes to ports above 1024.  Further I
wanted to verify there wasn't anything in BIND that was restricting it
to a range as some applications do.   That is to say is it complete
random or random within a range?