TCP queries fail - BIND 9.5.0 Windows Server 2003

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Jul 14 12:22:20 UTC 2008

Jukka Pakkanen wrote:
> From: "Danny Mayer" <mayer at ntp.isc.org>
>>> Unfortunately Windows netstat don't show the process owner, but looking
>>> the ports there are only a couple open socket by named.
>>>
>> The -o option shows you the PID of the application using the port. You can
>> lookup the PID of named.
>
> Ok, here are the sockets for named, PID 972:
>
> Active Connections
>
> Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID
>
> TCP 62.142.220.8:53 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 972
>
> TCP 62.142.220.8:953 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 972
>
> TCP 127.0.0.1:53 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 972
>
> TCP 127.0.0.1:953 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:1064 *:* 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:4953 *:* 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:5106 *:* 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:6274 *:* 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:16667 *:* 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:17948 *:* 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:18302 *:* 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:30470 *:* 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:31069 *:* 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:33660 *:* 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:38302 *:* 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:47613 *:* 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:48802 *:* 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:48902 *:* 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:58667 *:* 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:61738 *:* 972
>
> UDP 0.0.0.0:64136 *:* 972
>
> UDP 62.142.220.8:53 *:* 972
>
> UDP 127.0.0.1:53 *:* 972

Interesting. That's not a lot at all.

>>> Task manager show for this server (2G of RAM, run 2 days) following
>>> numbers:
>>>
>>> Mem usage 839 488 K (and rising every cycle)
>>> Handles 3466
>
> Today, 30 hours later these are 1 259 599 K (so well over a gig already...)
> and 3545.

This is worrying. Something's eating handles.

> And these are just for the named process.
>
>> This is likely to be a problem. Once you run out of handles you cannot do
>> very much including opening new sockets. The only other application that I
>> know of that uses handles in such wild abandon is Outlook and that's
>> absolutely absurd. I did once catch it with something like ~700 open
>> sockets, but that's a different story.
>>
>>> Threads 13
>> How many CPU's on the system? This sounds like it's using quite a few TCP
>> ports. Are you sure you only have a few open ports? The other tool that I
>> use is cports, but the version I have doesn't support IPv6 but it's useful
>> for things like this.
>
> Two dual-core Xeon processors, so Windows sees 4 "processors". FSC RX300
> server.

That's 3 threads more than I might expect though maybe that's in the
task manager. I should check that with my dual-CPU.

Danny

product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure.  If the reader
copies and backups thereof.  Thank you.