Too many open files (not only BIND 9.5.0-P1)

Stacey Jonathan Marshall Stacey.Marshall at Sun.COM
Mon Jul 14 11:07:12 UTC 2008

Stacey Jonathan Marshall wrote:
> JINMEI Tatuya / ???? wrote:
>> At 09 Jul 2008 21:44:47 +0100,
>> Chris Thompson <cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> I have observed two occurrences of this with BIND 9.4.2-P1 running
>>> under Solaris 10_x86 even though plimit(1) clearly shows the named
>>> process has both soft and hard limits on file descriptors set to 65536:
>>>
>>> Jul  9 20:29:09 recdns0.csx.cam.ac.uk named[18018]: [ID 873579
>>> local7.error]  general: error: socket: too many open file descriptors
>>> Jul  9 20:29:25 recdns0.csx.cam.ac.uk last message repeated 758 times
>>>
>>> # plimit 18018
>>> 18018:  /usr/local/BIND/bind/sbin/named -u namesrvr -c
>>> ../etc/named.conf
>>>    resource              current         maximum
>>> [...]
>>>   nofiles(descriptors)  65536           65536
>>>

>> What's the value of FD_SETSIZE?  Someone else reported that there's a
>> system that has FD_SETSIZE defaulting to 256.
>>
>> I'd also like to know that how many sockets were actually opened when
>> you saw the 'too many open file descriptors' errors.
>>
>> ---
>> JINMEI, Tatuya
>>

> /include/sys/types.h has it set to 256 under Solaris. That does appear
> to be the value that lib/isc/unix/socket.c would use.
>
> Stace

My mistake...  Under solaris the default is 1024 on 32bit..  I failed to
notice that select.h is included before.

Stace

product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure.  If the reader
copies and backups thereof.  Thank you.