Upgrade challenges

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Tue Jul 15 17:47:00 UTC 2008

At Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:13:25 +0200,
"Castricum, Ben (W&O SO OPS NET Netwerk beheer)" <ben.castricum at kpn.com> wrote:

> I just gave 9.4.3b2 a try while setting FD_SETSIZE to 32768. First
> attempt resulted in

If you use /dev/poll, the setting of FD_SETSIZE doesn't matter.

> named[599]: main.c:502: unexpected error:
> named[599]: isc_socketmgr_create() failed: file not found
> named[599]: create_managers() failed: unexpected error
> named[599]: exiting (due to early fatal error)
>
> but this was caused by /dev/poll not available in the chrooted
> environment (at least we know it uses poll as API). After creating this
> device, bind seems to start correctly. However after a few seconds the
> logfile gets flooded with "*** POKED TIMER ***" messages, several
> thousands per second.

Which operating system and version are you using.  I guess it's
Solaris, but I'd like to be sure about it, and would like to know the
OS version.  How many CPUs are available on your machine, and how many
threads is named using?  If you disable threads, does that provide
reasonable performance without other problem?

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.