Too many open files .. just curious..

etirado.ext at orange-ftgroup.com etirado.ext at orange-ftgroup.com
Wed Jul 16 15:02:38 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm testing BIND 9.4.2-P1.

BIND is running on a RedHat 4.6 with kernel 2.6 , chrooted :
/prog/named/sbin/named -n 8 -u dns -t /prog/named -c /etc/named.conf

I wanted to test if I'll encounter "Too many open files" error in
production so I put this little conf in BIND :

max-ncache-ttl 15;
max-cache-ttl 10;
max-cache-size 200M;

So this way , I thought BIND will be recursing almost every time with
~approx 25 000 queries/sec.

rndc status reports approx 10% of queries/sec for recursive clients. (
this is enough for this test ).

ls -l /proc/$(pidof named)/fd | wc -l  = ~1000

And yes.. I got the "named[8864]: socket: too many open file
descriptors"

So I tried to mod the value in /etc/security/limits.conf :

dns     soft    nofile  4096
dns     hard    nofile  8192

ulimit -Sn = 4096 & ulimit -Hn = 8192 for everyone.

So anyone know what's the problem please?

Thank you.

Regards,

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended solely for the addressees.
Messages are susceptible to alteration.
If you are not the intended addressee of this message, please cancel it immediately and inform the sender.