direct master reverse CIDR zone without $GENERATE?

Justin Pryzby justinpryzby at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jul 17 20:19:29 UTC 2008

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if it was possible to have a master zone for a partial
(sub-24 CIDR) reverse zone, without using $GENERATE.  The problem is
that a master zone 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa for a /24 network like could be
populated with ~256 PTRs, but if one has a /29 (say), and fills it
with their ~8 PTRs, named will return NXDOMAIN for the other
addresses.  I know that CIDR doesn't use the normal 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa
but rather something like 128/29.2.1.in-addr.arpa, but that's not a
master zone.

It's possible to use a 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa zonefile with some $GENERATE
lines [re]delegating everything besides the /29 back to the ISP, but
then one has to hardcode their NS data, which is unfortunate.  The
only other alternative I can see is to create a separate zonefile for
each IP.

Is there a better way, or is it just accepted to let named do the
lookups (at least the most significant octets' NS might well be
cached), even for local IPs?

Thanks,
Justin