Centos named init script

Jon Kibler jon.r.kibler at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 05:10:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 7:55 PM, Kevin Darcy <kcd at chrysler.com> wrote:
> named and named-checkconf share parsing routines and are part of the
> same subsystem.
>
> How would you have debugged differently if the tag had been
> "named-checkconf"?

I would have realized it was not named that was crashing during
startup and would not have wasted a couple of hours trying to figure
out why named would run fine when I started it via the command line
(first in the foreground, then in the background) instead of crashing
when started from the init script. It turns out that I have (according
to ISC) apparently hit on a bug in named-checkconf (see: bind-9.5.1b1:
mem.c:918: INSIST(ctx->stats[i].gets == 0U) failed.) thread in this
list.

Bottom line: named works perfect. named-checkconf crashes and burns. I
would have looked in the right place the first time!

Jon Kibler
--
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer