TCP queries fail - BIND 9.5.0 Windows Server 2003

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Mon Jul 21 03:32:45 UTC 2008

I can confirm these findings as well. This is definitely what's happening in the newer BIND code base on Windows. 9.4.2 is the only stable option at the moment (despite the vulnerability) unless you keep cycling the service.

I don't have 9.5.0 running at the moment, but if handles are leaking, often times you can narrow down what handles are opened by using the handles.exe program from Sysinternals, now Microsoft:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655.aspx

Try running that and keeping it narrowed to the PID or named.exe process to see what handles are opened and maybe this can be narrowed down.

Additionally, another tool that may help is process explorer, also from Sysinternals/Microsoft:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Using one or both of these tools on a misbehaving system with a handle leak, should enable us to find out what's happening, and hopefully help ISC to get it fixed.

Let us know what you find. I'm very interested as I'd like to be able to run BIND 9.5.x on Windows and have IPv6 support.

-Vinny