Can I forward DNS request using TCP?

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Tue Jul 22 00:42:25 UTC 2008

I suspect forwarding is not the best solution for you, but if you feel
you must...

There is no way to configure BIND to send all queries to a forwarder
over TCP instead of UDP. And the operator of that forwarder probably
wouldn't appreciate it if you could.

If the UDP packets aren't arriving, check all the firewalls in between
(and at both ends). Make sure you're sending the packets to a DNS
server. Verify with the server's operator that this is OK.

Or, alternatively, forward somewhere else. opendns.com's forwarders,
for example.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice