$GENERATE and MX records

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Wed Jul 23 17:33:24 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've googled on this one and searched the bind-users archive with
no insight.  I'm starting to move to $GENERATE statements in my
subzones of colby.edu, replacing explicit setup A and MX records,
eg:

dhip-000    IN  A   137.146.171.64
             IN  MX  10 jasper.colby.edu.
(etc)

with

$GENERATE   0-62 dhip-${0,3,d} A 137.146.171.${+64,0,d}
*           IN  MX  10 jasper.colby.edu.

I've always had explicit MX records defined for every A record,
due to the "wildcard MX records are evil" argument put forth in
the Sendmail Bat book.  Now, if I do dig on my generated records,
eg:

dig dhip-000.public.lovejoy.colby.edu mx

I get no MX info (unlike the old setup).  How come I don't get
MX info because of the zone's wildcard MX?  Is this anything to
worry about?

Jeff Earickson
Colby College