URGENT, PLEASE READ: 9.5.0-P1 now available

Walter Gould gouldwp at auburn.edu
Thu Jul 24 22:18:48 UTC 2008

Walter Gould wrote:
> JINMEI Tatuya / ???? wrote:

>>> When I run lsof, the number of named UDP sockets opened is right at
>>> 995 to 999.
>>>

>> Thanks, then it really consumes all available sockets (file
>> descriptors, more accurately).  Then the options I can think of are:
>>
>> - move to a beta (probably you don't want to do that)
>> - use a larger FD_SETSIZE like 4096 and recompile named with it, if
>>   you OS allows such a dynamic change of FD_SETSIZE
>>

> Thanks - using a larger FD_SETSIZE seems to have worked. I set the
> #define __FD_SETSIZE in /usr/include/linux/posix_types.h to 4096,
> saved and recompiled named and now named is not crashing as it was
> before with the "too many open files" error.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Walter

I guess I spoke too soon.  The upgraded BIND 9.5.0-P1 that I compiled
yesterday (with the increased FD_SETSIZE) has crashed a few times
today.  I received the same "Too many open files" error that I had been
seeing.  Also, when I ran lsof, the number of named sockets or file
descriptors (?) was around 1000.  Shouldn't it have been ok since I
increases the FD_SETSIZE to 4096?

I tried restarting it, but shortly after, it crashed again.  I am
wondering if running 9.5.0 is safe to run if we are not allowing
recursive lookups?  When I run the dig @nameserver +short
porttest.dns-oarc.net TXT test against it, I receive:
dig @nameserver_ip +short porttest.dns-oarc.net TXT
z.y.x.w.v.u.t.s.r.q.p.o.n.m.l.k.j.i.h.g.f.e.d.c.b.a.pt.dns-oarc.net.
"nameserver_ip is GOOD: 26 queries in 1.9 seconds from 7 ports with std
dev 22442.25"

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Walter