Too many open files Re: Patch 9.4.2->9.4.2-P1 breaking tcp-responder?

jbratton at rackspace.com jbratton at rackspace.com
Mon Jul 28 00:40:59 UTC 2008

Quoting Thomas Jacob <jacob at internet24.de>:
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 05:26:24PM -0500, jbratton at rackspace.com wrote:
>> You can fix that with ulimit.  Check out ulimit -n to see how many open
>> files you currently allow, and try increasing it.  I keep it set to 16384
>> on my busier caches without any issues.  Note that setting the limit with
>> ulimit won't be persistent, you will want to change
>
> Already did that. I simply put it into the startup scripts.

Oh yeah, and be careful about just putting ulimit -n some# in the
startup scripts because it only applies to the shell that you run it
in.  If you are still seeing that message in your logs, I would
strongly recommend setting it in the limits.conf file.

-- Jason

at abuse at rackspace.com, and delete the original message.
Your cooperation is appreciated.