how to setup revdns for /16 subnet

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Jul 28 13:13:48 UTC 2008

I had an issue with using dig to query my reverse lookups so had to
create separate entries in named.conf like:

# Special notation required for internet delegation (e.g. dig -x ...)
#
zone "192/27.84.44.12.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
        type master;
        file "arpa.12.44.84";
        allow-transfer { watercom; };
        allow-query { any; };
};

# Standard notation required for direct lookups (e.g. dig @mydnshost -x
...)
#
zone "84.44.12.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
        type master;
        file "arpa.12.44.84";
        allow-transfer { watercom; };
        allow-query { any; };
};

That is to say for most purposes the first entry worked fine but if I
specified my host to dig the record from it would complain about
84.44.12.in-addr.arpa not found.   Notice both records point to the same
arpa zone file.

I don't think you could split them for the latter entry but I didn't
try.