Multiple PTR records for one IP?

Peter Laws plaws at ou.edu
Mon Jul 28 16:44:25 UTC 2008

Dawn Connelly wrote:
> It works, but the question you have to ask is what are you trying to
> achieve with the PTR record. If something is doing reverse
> authentication, it will fail half the time. If you are using PTR records
> just to document stuff and it doesn't really matter, you can have as
Yeah, but is it *legal* RFC-wise.  I know it works, but that means little.

We're converting to GENERATE for a bunch of documentation-related
placeholder records and I want to know how far to go cleaning up dupes that
have crept in.

Your "half the time" example is, I think, going to be why I go on a
cleaning binge ...

--
Peter Laws / N5UWY
plaws at ou.edu