ISC statement about BIND9's recent -P1 releases

Andy Shellam andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 20:39:51 UTC 2008

Steve Lancaster wrote:
> Paul and the rest of the folks at ISC have worked to fix this problem as
> quickly as possible. The fact that haste sometimes yields unforseen
> consequences was an unforutnate outcome of this particular effort.
>
> I'd like to thank the folks at ISC for responding quickly, with a good
> faith effort to fix the problem.. and for working a dual pronged effort
> such that the "quick fix" would be replaced in a timely manner with the
> definitive solution.

> Thanks, Paul, and the rest of the crew at ISC.
>
> Your work is appreciated.

Hear, hear - it couldn't have been put better Steve!  I'm sure the
majority of users are all in favour of a safer Internet.

A slow server can always helped along by adding a new server to the
network, and one that crashes every week can be monitored and restarted
automatically, but if a user unknowingly releases confidential details
(such as bank account logons) because of your unpatched nameserver, well
that's a little more difficult to fix.

Andy