BIND 9 resolver and lwresd

Jaroslaw Rafa raj at ap.krakow.pl
Wed Jul 30 15:40:27 UTC 2008

I don't understand fully the documentation about BIND 9 resolver library and
lwresd. It seems that BIND 9 does not provide a "standalone" resolver
library like previous versions of BIND did, but the resolver operation must
be backed up by "lwresd" daemon. Am I right?
If I'm right, is it possible to run BIND 9 with an earlier version of the
resolver library (to avoid running lwresd)? And if yes, will it affect the
recent Kaminsky's vulnerability? Is the vulnerability in the named daemon
itself or in the resolver?
Regards,
   Jaroslaw Rafa
   raj at ap.krakow.pl