Preventing recursion ... (preventing confusion?)

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Wed Jul 30 17:05:56 UTC 2008

On my RHEL5 box the way I insured neither cache lookups nor recursive
lookups would work for outsiders was modify named conf to have:

1)  options section:
        allow-query { internaldns; externaldns; };
        allow-recursion { internaldns; externaldns; };

2)  Create ACLs named internaldns and externaldns which specified IPs or
ranges of IPs that I wanted to allow to do recursive and cache lookups.

3)  Modify each zone section to include:
        allow-query { any; };

The options section is global so restricts queries (including cache) and
recursion to only the IPs defined in the ACLs.   The modification of the
zone sections allows anyone (whether there in the ACLs or not) to do
queries of the zones for which we're authoritative.

Note this was on the RHEL5 patched version of 9.3.4-P1 which has also
been back ported to have the new exploit port randomization fix.   I
believe it would work for the version you noted as well.