Post-build test fail on BIND 9, old system

Bruce Esquibel bje at e4500.ripco.com
Wed Jul 30 14:24:17 UTC 2008

Jaros?aw Rafa <raj at ap.krakow.pl> wrote:

> And here I have some problem. I successfully compiled BIND 9.5.0-P1 on
> my system, but when I run "make test" after the build, some of the tests
> fail. The tests that fail are: cacheclean, forward, lwresd, rrsetorder
> and upforwd (the same applies for BIND 9.4.2-P1). My question is: how
> severe is this? Can something bad happen if I run the nameserver with
> these tests failing or may I safely ignore this? I can send the detailed
> test output if needed.

Sheese, trying to get anything to run under Solaris 2.5.1 is going to be an
uphill battle.

Is there any way to just try to run what was built and ignore the tests?

Reason I'm saying that, not sure why but there is a couple spots in the test
suite for BIND 9.5.0-P1 that has "grep -q" hardcoded which causes several
failures under Solaris. As far as I can tell, -q (for quiet) is only
supported on the gnu grep (ggrep).

Besides causing some tests to get bypassed, I think it does eventually fail
altogether because of something missing from the grep output (maybe wrong
about that).

So either try to build the gnu grep and replace the grep binary on your box
or search around the bin/tests directories and edit the -q off the grep
calls.

One other note for those building on Solaris 10 and have zones configured
and running, there is another bug or oversight in the test suite when you
bring up the interfaces for the phony 10.53.0 addresses, all that works but
when you clean up and bring them down using the ifconfig.sh script, you'll
lose all the 127.0.0.1 localhosts on the interfaces at the same time. Is a
minor issue, can easily be fixed without rebooting but had me stumped for a
bit when some things running just stopped working.

-bruce
bje at ripco.com