domain twice

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Thu Jul 31 05:37:57 UTC 2008

So...  What is the REAL name of MYSLD.TLD?

When I try to find anything about it, I get this:

No match for "MYSLD.TLD".
>>> Last update of whois database: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 01:36:12 EDT <<<

How the heck do you expect ANYone to try and help you debug when you
haven't told us what the domain name is...?

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

> To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 07:28:39 +0200
> From: Aron Bhand <not at for.us>
> Subject: domain twice
>
> Hi all
>
> I know, this is a silly question. But I have to be certain because
> a number of people are involved.
>
> ===
> $ nslookup
>  > set q=mx
>  > MYSLD.TLD
> Server:         192.168.0.1
> Address:        192.168.0.1#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> MYSLD.TLD  mail exchanger = 5 \
>     spamfilter.MYSLD.TLD.MYSLD-TLD.ch.
> MYSLD.TLD  mail exchanger = 10 \
>     mail.MYSLD.TLD.MYSLD-TLD.
>
> Authoritative answers can be found from:
> ===
>
> The problem is that the MYSLD.TLD pattern repeats, mail to
> users at MYSLD.TLD get rejected due to this.
>
> My quesion is, whether the problem is just a missing "dot" in MX?
>     IN MX 5         spamfilter.MYSLD.TLD
>                                         ^dot here
>     IN MX 10        mail.MYSLD.TLD
>                                   ^and here
> mail              IN A    IP-ADDRESS
> spamfilter        IN A    IP-ADDRESS
>
> And also I'm curious, why there is nothing after the line
"Authoritative
> answers can be found from:".
>
> Aron

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 9B1
San Jose, CA 95134

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision."