Post-build test fail on BIND 9, old system

Bruce Esquibel bje at e4500.ripco.com
Thu Jul 31 14:25:08 UTC 2008

Jaroslaw Rafa <raj at ap.krakow.pl> wrote:

> However, I am in the process of investigating them in detail, and the first
> test (cacheclean) is probably failing because the "dig" program included
> with BIND is for some reason unable to fetch data from the nameserver (a
> message "/dysk4/soft/bind-9.5.0-P1/bin/dig/dig: isc_socket_bind: socket
> already bound" appears and the file expected to contain output from dig is
> empty). Don't know about the others yet...

I think Solaris 2.5.1 didn't support multiple addresses on an interface
(again could be wrong) so the "already bound" message makes sense.

I'm pretty sure you are going to have to shut down the named that is
running, if that is the case. You might even have to go to an extreme and
get the box into single user mode to run the tests.

Sorry if this is going to mislead you, I haven't seen a 2.5.1 box in
probably 10 years, we took posession of them when another isp in the area
went out of business but only kept them running long enough to migrate
the users. Pretty sure Solaris 8 was out then and it was a night and day
difference "getting stuff to work" like this on 8 over the older versions.

But I'm confident with the way the test suite works and how the 2.5.1
handles ip addresses on the interfaces, there is an incompatabily there.

Hope I'm wrong but like I said earlier, you have a pretty good uphill battle
on your hands.

-bruce
bje at ripco.com