ISC statement about BIND9's recent -P1 releases

George R. Kasica georgek at netwrx1.com
Thu Jul 31 11:08:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:21:15 -0700, Steve Lancaster
<stevelan at cesa.opbu.xerox.com> wrote:

>Well... while it's
>
><http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/DNS-patch-causes-BIND-blunder/0,1300
>61744,339290928,00.htm>
>
>certainly "another view" on the same facts.. I find it a particularly
>distasteful one...

Steve:

I agree with you and others here, ISC has done a great job in short
time.

As one whose "other job" is as a flight RN on a helicopter (medical
transport) lets put it this way....no one is dying cause your name
servers are crashing...in this area you get one chance to fix a
problem and if you guess wrong or hesitate too long someone may truly
suffer due to is.....name server crashing is not that area for sure.

I think everyone needs to take a nice deep breath, relax, ISC will
come up with a fix soon, and for now if its crashing look into
something like maybe psmon to keep an eye on it and kick it back in
(at least in the *nix) world.

Now if someone can tell me how to do the same restart in Windoze I'd
be much appreciative, (Not my strong suit and I've got one box here
with 9.5.p1 on it that dies at random.

George
--
===[George R. Kasica]===        +1 262 677 0766
President                       +1 206 374 6482 FAX
georgek at netwrx1.com
ICQ #12862186