fedora core 9 bind problem

Robert Spangler mlists at zoominternet.net
Thu Jun 26 13:21:04 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 25 June 2008 20:19, Mark Andrews wrote:

>   Named has *alway* required a writeable working directory.
>   This was explicitly pointed out in earlier versions of
>   manuals, etc.  The working directory is the default write
>   location for lots of files, in addition it is the default
>   on most OS's for core dumps.  Failure to provide this will
>   may cause some operations to fail.  It may also make it
>   more difficult to diagnose fatal problems which cause named
>   to exit.

Redhat does have a writable directory.  It is just people don't read the
documentation before setting out to install things.  Redhat setup makes your
BIND more secure and by reading the documentation one would understand how it
works and what they need to do.

>   If the defaults presented by the OS don't meet the applications
>   needs then the defaults are wrong and should be corrected.
>   "defaults" here covers both the file system and the contents
>   of named.conf.

It is not the fault of the OS but that of the installer not reading and
understanding how the system is configured to allow the application to do
what the installer wants it to do.

Please, in the future don't start saying it is the fault of the OS for not
working correctly when in fact the OS has improved on the security.

--

Regards
Robert

Smile... it increases your face value!