caching only + wildcard

idanj idan.jan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 13:34:03 UTC 2008

Thank you for your reply, and sorry for not being clear. I'll try to
explain again.

We are a small ISP.

We want to display a friendly message to our users whenever they are
trying to access a non existent domain.

So the flow we were thinking about is:
1. User queries our (caching-only) NS
2. Our NS checks the root servers and get a "NXDOMAIN" reply.
3. We return to the user an A RECORD with the IP address of our server
4. The user goes to that IP address and gets our error message.

So we basically want the ability to add a wildcard record to our NS,
but have that wildcard catch ONLY when our NS gets an NXDOMAIN reply
from the root server.

I hoped I explained myself OK this time.

Thanks again
Idan