Out-of-memory errors

Jukka Pakkanen jukka.pakkanen at qnet.fi
Mon Jun 30 07:01:51 UTC 2008

> Jukka Pakkanen wrote:
>> Upgraded from 9.4.2 to 9.5.0 and now all our servers (W2x) run out of
>> memory
>> after a day or two because named just grows and grows... never happened
>> before.
>> Something changed in the 9.5.x?  Couldn't find from the docs...
>>

> What's the error message in the log? Does it exit?

Nothing in the log or event viewer, the service doesn't exit, at some point
it just stops responding to queries and windows complains about virtual
memory being too low (naturally).

We got lot's of following errors in the event viewer, which I don't recall
seeing before, but don't know if it's anyway related:

"too many timeouts resolving '126.288.96.92.in-addr.arpa/ptr' in [...:
disabling EDNS."

I'm on vacation so haven't had a chance to investigate this more yet, but
definitely something's going on there. With 9.4.x we never had any memory
problems, now after upgrading to 9.5.0 every server runs out of memory in a
few days. Typically named process took about 40-50M of memory, now when I
restart the service it's about 30M and grows to over a gig in a few days.