CNAME & MX record confusion.

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Mar 3 09:25:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 02:32:34PM +0000,
 Stroller <stroller at bigfoot.com> wrote
 a message of 49 lines which said:

> However, when I add a record to point to the website I get
> problems. The website is hosted on the server
> www.commercial2.easynet.net, so using the web interface I choose
> CNAME from the drop-down; mydomainname.co.uk is already filled out
> as the origin on the webpage that now comes up and I fill in
> www.commercial2.easynet.net as the target.

That's wrong and it cannot work. With BIND, you cannot even load such
a zone ("CNAME and other data").

> This seems to result in mail delivery problems, and I don't
> understand why.  The CNAME for the website surely shouldn't be
> treated as an MX, should it?

How could the DNS know that the CNAME was only for the Web site? A
CNAME is just a way to set up an alias in the DNS, and this alias will
be for all protocols (MX records, used only for email, are an
exception).

The only solution, if you want to support example.co.uk (the right
solution would be to use www.example.co.uk) is to add an A record and
a AAAA record for example.co.uk, using the IP addresses of the Web
server on the right-hand side.