IP Address Management Tool (IPAM) for DNS and DHCP

Paul Vixie Paul_Vixie at isc.org
Tue Mar 4 19:09:02 UTC 2008

"Persiko, Mark" <Mark.Persiko at Level3.com> writes:

> BIND-DLZ looks highly desirable as an augmentation to a DNS management
> tool (by that, I mean a database with DNS information could be seamlessly
> tied to BIND servers.)  However, is that part of the standard
> distribution now, or would it need integration (and optimization) to work
> its way into BIND 10?

to the best of my knowledge, DLZ is a standard feature in late model BIND9.
equivilent functionality will almost certainly find its way into BIND10 (but
i hope we have hot-spot caches with SQL-triggered invalidation, and i hope we
can accept RFC2136 updates and back-propagate them into SQL, both of which
prevent me from running DLZ on my own zones.)  we (ISC) love that BIND9 is
seen as a general DNS protocol engine for other folks' DNS storage systems.

what i'm looking for in this thread, though, is management features like
clustering, XML-based config, better support for GUI, or other reasons why
people aren't running raw BIND9 and instead pulling in something like
InfoBlox, M&M, etc.  how can BIND10 better support this functionality, and/or
better support these vendors, than BIND9 does?
--
Paul Vixie