how do overlapping views work in bind?

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Sun Mar 9 16:10:24 UTC 2008

Hi everybody,

I've read the BIND manual quite closely, but I can't figure out how
overlapping views work.

If there is an 'ANY' view, and one with match-clients 10.0.0.0/8 and a
query comes in from 10.0.0.1, it is obvious that it should not go to the
'any' view, but to the 10.0.0.0/8 view.

However, both match-client statements match.

Which one wins? The first one that is specified? The most specific one?

Or is the 'any' match special, and always tried only if nothing else
matches?

I hope you can help me figure out - if need be, I can write up some words
for the BIND manual once we figure this out. I'll need to do so for the
PowerDNS manual anyhow!

Kind regards,

Bert