Is "domain" a valid directive ?

Lalatendu Das lalatdas at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 14:46:02 UTC 2008

Hi all,
Sorry for asking query on depricated version of BIND i.e. bind4, But I
didn't find any specific mailing list to ask about bind4, So only
posting the Question here.

Is there a directive called "domain" is valid for bind4?
I have searched the net and various admin related book, but I didn't
found anything about this domain directive in bind4.
So I thought, there is no such directive in that name, but to my
astonishment the bind4 daemon
works fine without saying any error if I am having a domain directive
in the named.boot as mentioned below
"domain  mydomain.com"

Additionally if I run the migration script provided with bind9 source
base i.e. named-bootconf under contrib directory it is simplpy
ignoring the "domain" directive and goes on converting other keyword
of bind4.

So is there really a directive called "domain" present in bind4 or
bind4's named daemon don't parse the config file(named.boot) strictly.

Because if I am having such a line in bind9 config file, it is simply
throwing an error and failing to start as opposite to bind4 one which
start amicably

thanks in advance