True DNS Backup

D. Stussy spam at bde-arc.ampr.org
Wed Mar 5 05:14:33 UTC 2008

"Chris Buxton" <cbuxton at menandmice.com> wrote in message
news:fqkv8k$2g0q$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> On Mar 3, 2008, at 1:36 PM, D. Stussy wrote:
> > "Chris Buxton" <cbuxton at menandmice.com> wrote in message
> > news:fqhb7l$ska$1 at sf1.isc.org...
> >>

> >> If the OP plans to use views to route web requests, for example, over
> >> the same network connection that the DNS requests come over, then
> >> having an offsite slave will spoil this.
> >
> > Noted, but that's not sufficient reason to disregard the "best current
> > practice" for disaster recovery.  Regardless, shouldn't it be the
> > client
> > which determines which address is "closer" after it receives ALL
> > addresses?
> > A client, when doing a DNS lookup, doesn't necessarily pick the
> > closest DNS
> > server first - but a RANDOM one from the list (which may be
> > topographically
> > further away than the other choices).  Using views to serve a
> > preferred
> > order of addresses makes assumptions that may not be true in many
> > cases.
>

> I said nothing about a preferred order of addresses, which, given that
> resolving name servers will effectively randomize them, is a generally
> useless practice. And the OP said nothing about disaster recovery,
> just about handling the case when one or the other ISP connection (but
> not both) goes down - fault tolerance (and some load balancing) for
> upstream connections.

Actually, you implied it when you suggested that the OP planned to route the
subsequent HTTP connection over the same path as the DNS request came in on.
That implies an order because it implies a route where multiple routes are
possible.

> The client (the stub resolver) doesn't pick a DNS server to query, the
> resolving name server does. And while for the first query into the
> zone, the resolver will choose randomly, once it has sufficient data,
> it will tend to query whichever address responds fastest. This
> provides the load balancing aspect.

If the stub resolver has multiple DNS servers available to query, it DOES
pick one.  Then that DNS server chooses one from the zone's NS RRset.
Sufficient data assumes a continuity of connection or multiple requests in a
data stream - a condition you can't assume if one and only one web request
is going to be made to the host.  Obviously, when the first DNS request
comes in, there hasn't yet been a recent web request (it may have been so
long ago that the DNS info expired out of the cache).

> For fault tolerance, consider that if a line goes down, the DNS server
> will retry the other available name server addresses until it gets an
> answer - this should typically be speedy enough that the web browser
> will never notice. In order for the browser to connect to the web
> server using the line that is still up, the response from the DNS
> server should contain just one A record, giving the address of the web
> server that is available over the same ISP connection as the DNS
> server itself. This can be accomplished using views on the DNS
> servers, with different IP interfaces for the different routers.

And just how do you expect the DNS server to know that "route 1" from A to B
is working when "route 2" is used and the break in route 1 is not adjacent
to host A or B (where A and B are the server and client)?  Just because the
traffic isn't seen doesn't mean it's not working.  Your position implies
that a DNS server should test all routes between itself and any (or all)
querying clients - and that's just not going to happen (too much network
"noise").  That's the only way that the DNS server is going to know that it
should withhold a record it would otherwise provide in the answer.

> (I'm sure this strategy has been described endlessly on the list
> before, but I don't have a handy link to any archive or FAQ. It was
> faster to retype it than to find such a reference.)

I doubt it.  What you are stating isn't feasible nor practical.