Anyone still interested in Philip Hazel's "makezones" ?

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Wed Mar 12 02:12:09 UTC 2008

Um-m-m-m...  Failed.  It looks like "anonymous" ftp wasn't set up...
Or maybe *I* don't know how to spell anonymous...

ghicks-vpn% ftp ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk
Connected to all-ipv4.cus.cam.ac.uk.
220-FTP Server (user 'ghicks')
220
Name (ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk:ghicks): anonymous
331-Password:
331
Password:
530-530 User anonymous unknown.
530
Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> cd pub
530 Please login with USER and PASS.
ftp> user ftp
530 User ftp unknown.
Login failed.
ftp>

Any assist?

Regards,
GRegory Hicks

> From: Chris Thompson <cet1 at hermes.cam.ac.uk>
> Subject: Anyone still interested in Philip Hazel's "makezones" ?
> Date: 12 Mar 2008 00:27:41 +0000
>
> It's been drawn to our attention that there are still many references
> around the web to [don't try it, it won't work]
>
>   ftp://ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programs/DNS/makezones
>
> (or similar). ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk has not supported anonymous ftp since
> the beginning of 2008, and is due to go altogether later this year.
>
> Makezones is a Perl program written by Philip Hazel (best known,
> perhaps, as the author of Exim) in 1993, that generates mutually
> consistent forward and reverse zone files from a common source.
> At one time it was included as a contributed program in the BIND
> distribution. It even gets a mention in RFC 2072 ...
>
> Philip retired last year, and tells me he no longer has any interest
> its future (if any). For the purposes of maintaining the main DNS
> zones in Cambridge, makezones developed weird and wonderful local
> mods and is now used only in a vestigial way. The last "public"
> version was 0.33 (October 2000, and yes, this does include the Y2K
> fixes to the serial number maintenance!) and this what was available
> at the above URL until recently.
>
> If anyone is still seriously interested in it, we don't want to deny
> them access to it. On the other hand, there is no serious chance of
> anyone here enhancing it, fixing bugs, or offering advice on it. We
> have thought of making it available marked as "historical, frozen,
> unsupported software", but I thought I would test the temperature
> here first.
>
> It is *temporarily* available as
>
>   http://www.cus.cam.ac.uk/~cet1/justfornow-makezones-0.33
>
> if you want to take a look.
>
> --
> Chris Thompson               University of Cambridge Computing
Service,
> Email: cet1 at ucs.cam.ac.uk    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QH,
> ,                            United Kingdom.

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 9B1
San Jose, CA 95134

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision."