Master <--> slave named.conf "auto-generation"

Baird, Josh jbaird at follett.com
Thu Mar 13 13:24:27 UTC 2008

No functionality for this exists in BIND.  The way that I have accomplished this in the past is to keep a separate named.conf (ie, named-slave.conf) on the master and use a simple script that scp'd the named.conf over to all of the slaves, used sudo via ssh to copy the named.conf to the proper location and then did a "rndc reconfig" (better than using "rndc reload" if all you are doing is modifying named.conf).

This seems to work fine, and I still use this method for my external environment.

Josh