Master <--> slave named.conf "auto-generation"

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Thu Mar 13 22:43:04 UTC 2008

bsd wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if there is a way, whenever a new zone definition
> is added to the primary master server, to have the slaves
> automatically configure themselves with matching slave-zone definitions?
>
> If not - what are people currently using to acomplish this task?
>
> Have you got any good script that could help me achieve that in an
> "elegant" way?
>
> What are the best path to achieve this knowing that I could have
> master and slave file generated on one server (the master), how would
> you handle the propagation of the named.conf (slave) file and signal
> (rndc reload) and the slave?
>

> Any other advise / experience / experiment are welcome.

We have a homegrown script that runs on all of our slaves (we have
dozens of them) nightly and looks at an "index" zone -- a zone with one
record per zone to be slaved. If the "index" zone has changed, it
rebuilds the named.conf based on the contents of the "index" zone and
does a reload. The big assumption of the script is that all of these
"automatic" zone definitions on all of the slaves are identical (with
the exception of "masters" and/or "also-notify"), but that's only a
_default_ assumption, since there is a provision for overriding the
"automatic" zone defintion with a "customized" version for any given
zone on any given slave. Also, since we have multiple levels of slaves,
there's a fairly elaborate "replication topology" subsystem for
determining the respective contents of the "masters" and "also-notify"
clauses on the various slaves.