wildcard

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Fri Mar 14 16:50:41 UTC 2008

Because you mentioned DNS & BIND, the O'Reilly book by Paul Albitz and
Cricket Liu (the latter of whom is my former colleague), I will start
by pointing you to the correct page in his book.

In the 5th edition of DNS & BIND, look on page 488 for a description
of wildcard records. This is in Chapter 17, Miscellaneous.

In RFC 1034, section 4.3.3, author Paul Mockapetris gave us a very
good definition of how wildcards work, including examples.
<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1034.html>

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice