domainkeys and check-names

Matthew Boeckman mboeckman at servicemagic.com
Fri Mar 14 18:42:11 UTC 2008

Hello List!

I have read some notes in the archives of this list, as well as a
variety of online docs about implementing domainkeys in bind9, and the
confusion surrounding underscores as part of that.

I understand that underscores are fine in zone files, but are illegal in
host names.

I understand that check-names allegedly only checks host records, and
this is where my own confusion lies. We have a zone that we have added
two TXT records to for our domainkeys. When I checkconf the server, I
get the following errors about the zone:

external/db.homefrontlibrary.com:17: dk._domainkey.homefrontlibrary.com:
bad owner name (check-names)

(full zone snip is below)

My question is: if check-names ignores TXT records, why is it
complaining about this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Matthew

Zone file for homefrontlibrary.com:

$TTL 300 ; 6 hours
@       IN      SOA     ns1.servicemagic.com. dnsadmin.servicemagic.com.
(
                                2008031402      ; Serial
                                1200    ; Refresh
                                300     ; Retry
                                86400   ; Expire
                                3600 )  ; Minimum
       IN      NS      ns1.servicemagic.com.
       IN      NS      ns2.servicemagic.com.
       IN      NS      ns1.inflow.net.
       IN      NS      ns2.inflow.net.
_domainkey.homefrontlibrary.com.     IN     TXT     "t=y; o=-"
dk._domainkey.homefrontlibrary.com.  IN     TXT     "k=rsa; t=y;
MFwblahblahAJBAJ9hGRFkgCwovN+ob2MN8n24WK+oSACmRblahblahblahblahblah"

$ORIGIN homefrontlibrary.com.

        IN      A       66.179.30.22

www     IN      A       66.179.30.22

--