stub zones and reverse delegation

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Mar 19 00:08:39 UTC 2008

In article <froiin$18ba$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Lars Hecking <lhecking at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>  The bind manual points to stub zones as a way to delegate RFC1918 reverse
>  zones, but in fact, I have been unable to do this sucessfully any other way
>  (Ch. 6, section zone Statement Definition and Usage). BIND 9.4.2.
>
>  What is the recommended way to delegate such zones, assuming a scenario
>  where one or more subdomains of an organisation's internal network are
>  in RFC1918 space (and the top level is not)? As simple as a master zone
>  with NS RRs at the top level?

What makes this different from any other delegation?

Assuming you're using 10.x.x.x addresses, your main nameserver, that
everyone points to for resolution, should be configured as authoritative
for 10.in-addr.arpa.  Then if you have some other servers that host the
reverse DNS for 10.1.2.0/24, you would delegate this as:

2.1 IN NS server1.company.com.
    IN NS server2.company.com.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA