BIND redirect all lookups

akmattb boswell.matt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 18:14:40 UTC 2008

I am in the process of trying to setup a quarantine type vlan on our
company network. I would like to have any computer on that network
have DNS lookups redirected to a local web server that displays a
terms or use page, and other misc information.

Example:
Someone does something naughty on our network. We put them in this
VLAN. Then whenever they make a DNS lookup (say when trying to go to
Google.com) bind will hijack the lookup and send out the ip address of
a local web server.

Any ideas? I was told it might be something with a wild card address
in the "." zone, but i'm not sure. I'm new to bind.