help with notify-source

tony z tzucc at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 00:31:16 UTC 2008

hi Mark,
Oh I did restart named for sure - several times. Not just reload, but restart. And I definitely used addresses
copied from ifconfig, so that wasn't the issue either (just to make sure I didn't typo).
named-checkconf reported no errors.  I also scoured iptables for some blocking condition
that could cause BIND to mess up. Nothing appeared out of order.

The only thing I can think of, if it is a BIND bug, is that the IP I used for notify-source was
an IP assigned to an ethernet alias (RHEL5).

In any case, I wouldn't bet that there isn't some other misconfiguration of mine that is causing this
but it sure isn't obvious.

> I managed to hack around "notify-source" not working to my expectations. Sinc
> e BIND wanted to pick a different IP than I told it to via notify-source and
> listen-on (I wanted this to be the same IP for both purposes), I did the foll
> owing:
> - took the IP that BIND seemed to really want to send NOTIFY's on (not the di
> fferent/desired IP in 'notify-source')
> - put that IP as the new master DNS IP in the slave definition for allowing t
> ransfers from
> - added that IP as a second IP in my 'listen-on' so that BIND would listen on
>  #53 connections from the slave starting the transfer
> - as an added measure, that IP also went into my notify-source, even though I
>  think (on my config) notify-source is not effective.
> Voila. AXFRs happen fast and crisp. So notify-source doesn't seem to work to
> specify the IP used for NOTIFYs.

    I suspect that you did not actually start or re-start named
    with the configuration you said you did or you specfied a
    address that the system was not configured with.  These are
    common operator errors.

    There are NO proved cases of notify-source failing in 9
    years of operation.  notify-source is used everyday by
    thousands of sites.

    Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC