Need help with DNS

Kal Feher kal.feher at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Mar 26 01:13:30 UTC 2008

I would highly recommend the O'Reilly book "DNS and BIND" (latest edition
... 5th I think). Both beginning and advanced topics are in my opinion
fairly accessible.

It starts from the very beginning (how does dns work?), progresses to
obtaining the domain name (where do I start?) and then moves into the first
basic setup. Basic conventions for naming zone files are contained within
the text (the "db" naming convention you refer to in earlier posts). So the
grammar and phrasing that can make DNS unapproachable for some, is
introduced and explained, making the subsequent tutorials more meaningful.

At the risk of sounding like someone yelling RTFM, I would suggest reading
at least the first 6 chapters. The book will remain invaluable as a
reference well beyond those first few chapters.

I recommend the book purely as a user of DNS.

--
Kal Feher