BIND slow to start without localhost name resolution

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Mar 27 22:03:11 UTC 2008

> I have a CentOS3 server running BIND 9.4.2 acting as an authorities name
> server for a domain. It was also performing recursive lookups for other
> machines in the same subnet, but this is no longer desirable as I was
> informed that external machines can still use its name cache even if
> they're not on the allow-recursion ACL (they just can't initiate new
> name lookups) so long as recursive lookups are allowed for more machines
> than none, and as this machine is not exactly a resource beast I would
> rather disable recursive lookups.

	I suspect you are misinformed.  Allow-query-cache and
	allow-recursion cross inherit from each other.

	If you have a older version of named you can still achieve
	the desired behaviour by setting allow-query at the
	options/view level to the value of the allow-recursion acl
	and then set allow-query acl to "any;" in all of the zones.

	Allow-query-cache was introduced in BIND 9.4 to make this
	easier.

	So either you are not running the version you say you are
	or you have also set allow-query-cache to allow non-recursors
	to access the cache.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC