Problems Configuring Bind on Windows Server 2003

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu May 1 02:09:01 UTC 2008

Alun wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have a Windows 2003 Virtual Private Server and I'm trying to
> configure it with a BIND DNS Server so my web hosts can point a domain
> name to it.  I've installed BIND9.4.2 on the server using some good
> instructions I found here:
>
> http://alex.charrett.com/technical/bind-on-windows.html
>
> I've followed all the instructions of the guide, and have configured
> and started BIND server service on the box.

The advice on that page is partially incorrect. You should not create an
account outside of the installer as it will be insecure. The installer
is specifically design to create a secure account with minimal
privileges. In fact the only one that it needs is the "Allow logon as
Service" privilege. By creating a user account you give it too many
privileges. It's not supposed to be a user account.

> I think all the configuration went well and the file named.conf (I
> hope) is OK, but there was a single instruction from the above guide I
> had difficulty understanding and wasn't able to complete when editing
> the db.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.txt file, the instruction was in the
> section "Configure your zone", the instruction was as follows:
>
>>> Substitute nameserver-hostname for the hostname of your nameserver.
>
> What follows is the entire contents of db.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.txt
> as it currently stands:
>
> *** START FILE db.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.txt *****
>
> $TTL 6h
> @	IN SOA	your-nameserver.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.
> hostmaster.greatScottsRobin.co.uk. (
> 			2008042301
> 			10800
> 			3600
> 			604800
> 			86400 )
>
> @		NS	your-nameserver.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.
>

> your-nameserver	IN A	195.216.193.223
>
> *** END FILE db.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.txt *****
>
> I think the instruction is to replace the reference 'your-nameserver'
> in the file but I'm not sure what the hostname of the nameserver is?
>
> My Web Host company tells me that we need to point a domain name at
> the name server:
>
> ns4.ukhosts4u.com
>
> And I need to provide them with the name servers for them to make this
> change.
>
> My Questions
> -------------------
>
> 1.) Could this be the name server (ns1.ukhost4u.com) be what I need to
> replace the reference 'your-nameserver' in the zone file (above)?

If that's the nameserver then yes. ns1 is the your-nameserver in the
above example. Note that this needs to be listed by the parent domain of
ukhost4u.com, in other words .com needs this information. If the ns1
hostname is within the ukhost4u.com, then the .com domain also needs the
IP address of that host. Registrars always require 2 nameservers and not
just one so you need to provide a second one which can be hosted by
anyone in any other domain. If yours is going to be the master then you
should have the other one act as a slave so that it will automatically
update itself whenever you change your zone.

> 2.) Also there is a reference to 'hostmaster' in
> db.greatScottsRobin.co.uk.txt does this need to be replaced with any
> different configuration?

hostmaster.greatScottsRobin.co.uk. is the email address of the contact
of the domain with the @ sign replaced by a period (.). If you have a
period already in the email name part of the email address you will need
to add a backslash (\) to it.

> 3.) How do I go about giving my Web Hosts the name servers they asked
> for? ( My networking knowledge is very limited, and I'm more of a
> developer so I'm struggling a bit with this )

See above. registrars require two of them.

> I'd be very grateful for any help with this, as I think configuration
> is nearly there.
>
> Cheers
> Alun

Danny