Suggestions for coping with this issue

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Sat May 3 23:37:31 UTC 2008

Hi,

	We have a few systems that need to do DNS lookups for a few domains
outside of our control, make decisions based on it, and sleep for an hour.
The problem is that they have a hair timer on getting the reply back. It seems
if it isn't back in 500ms or less, it considers the domain invalid and won't
allow anyone who uses that system to do what they need to.

	The domains we need to get have a 5 minute TTL on the records. After
you use nslookup/dig to get the information, the subsequent requests are of
course quicker due to caching.

	Is there anything we can do to "poke" bind 9 to either extend the
TTL, or during a special query/command flush and reget that remote zone
completely?

		Thanks, Tuc