Setting up my MX's records to redirect mail from source domain.

Jeremy C. Reed Jeremy_Reed at isc.org
Wed May 7 01:05:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Victoria OK wrote:

> Hi, I'm running bind on a Linux server and I want to configure the MX's
> records to do this below:
> All mail from *.mydomain ----> redirect to MX1, MX2 and MX3
>
> and
>
> All other mail *.*  ----> redirect to MX4, MX5 and MX6

This sounds like a mail server issue and not DNS specifically (since you
said "from").

As an example, with postfix, you could use sender_dependent_relayhost_maps
to define a database that maps sender domains to desired mail exchangers
to use.

(Also with postfix, the transport database can do mapping to override MX
lookups and choose transport type, like smtp, and also port numbers to
use.)