Multiple SOA records?

Lars Hecking lhecking at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 7 10:30:51 UTC 2008

Kevin Darcy writes:
[...]
> traininghott.com definitely seems to have a standards-conformance issue
> in the way it handles SOA queries
[...]

 Hhm, I think I would disagree here. After all, their name servers do return
 SOA records when queried directly, even if they are too many.

 The interesting bit is, if I let my own name server do the querying, I get
 SERVFAIL:

; <<>> DiG 9.3.3rc2 <<>> @server traininghott.com. soa
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 49324
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;traininghott.com.              IN      SOA

;; Query time: 331 msec

 but a tcpdump/wireshark analysis shows that there were two answers (the
 SOA RRs, two name servers, and nothing in the additional section; 2/2/0
 in tcpdump output). This means that the querying server, which runs BIND
 9.4.1_P1 btw., has decided to discard the response. I guess this kinda
 clarifies my original question "What kind of consequences can I expect
 trying to resolve records in a domain that has more than one SOA?".

 Kevin, can you explain

> Note, however, that *transactionally* a zone transfer response includes
> 2 SOA RRs.

 I cannot find anything on this?