Delegating the Administration of BIND

David Nolan vitroth at gmail.com
Mon May 19 04:19:12 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 10:33 PM, Al Sparks <data345 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to make BIND administration easier for IT staff.
>
>  I've recently downloaded webmin/b9ddns and installed on a test server.
>  Unless I'm missing something, there's no granularity in that software
>  to allow only adding / deleting of zone entries.
>
>  I'd rather have 3 types of privs that go something like this:
>

>    1.  Add remove zone entries (A/MX/CNAME & PTR, etc), and reload those zones
>    2.  Create/delete zones
>    3.  Administer BIND (Stop/Start server)
>
>  A bonus would be the ability to limit certain zones to certain users.

Carnegie Mellon's NetReg, <http://www.net.cmu.edu/netreg>, gives you
all of that and more, and is available under an open source license
(As do other systems, most of them commercial.)

I've talked about it on this list a few times before.  Rather then
repeating my previous comments, see this previous post from me
to this list:
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.protocols.dns.bind/browse_thread/thread/1859cdb39ad7f6d9/6b695beab712012e?lnk=st&q=&rnum=12#6b695beab712012e>

You also might want to check the list of software here:
http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/apc/#mgmt

-David Nolan
 Network Software Designer
 Carnegie Mellon University