max-cache-size (was: no subject)

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Tue May 27 22:40:22 UTC 2008

At Tue, 27 May 2008 20:15:05 +0000,
Evan Hunt <Evan_Hunt at isc.org> wrote:

> > Hmmm... how to reconcile this with the previous reports on bind-users
> > of memory usage mushrooming out of control in 9.5.0 alpha/beta releases?
> > Have those been satisfactorily resolved now?
>
> That issue wasn't related to cache performance.

Or perhaps this one:
http://marc.info/?l=bind-users&m=119715064818829&w=2

If the "previous reports" meant this, we've not figured out why that
happened, unfortunately.  But one thing that I'm pretty sure, through
my various experiences of chasing the issue, is that the bloated
memory didn't come from named itself.  I suspected it was due to
severe memory leak in an OS or third party library that was linked to
named, but was not very sure about it.

I've also never heard any similar symptom except for this very
specific environment, i.e., FreeBSD/amd64 7.0, BIND 9.5.0 (beta at
that time) built with threads.  I set up the same environment and
tried to reproduce the problem by myself, but I failed to see it.

Overall, I believe the latest version of 9.5.0 should work fine for
most users as a caching server.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya