Will MX lookup ignore MX on server which also has NS delegation.

Greg Chavez greg.chavez at gmail.com
Thu May 29 16:05:05 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Robin Farrell <robinfarrell at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have a client that is using NS to delegate their DNS to us and we will
> host their MX records.
> They are refusing to remove legacy MX and A records for the domain in
> question from their DNS, yet they have the correct NS records in place for
> the domain in question to be redirected to us.
> Could this possibly effect how dns MX/A lookups are redirected to our
> servers?

They're *refusing*?  Well, that's peculiar behavior.  But it shouldn't
matter.  You can't partially delegate a domain to another authority.
It's all or nothing.  What happens when you query their server for the
NS records of the delegated domain?  I submit that the delegation is
not in place as you describe.

--
--Greg Chavez