Compiling queryperf on Mac OS X Leopard

Marc Majka majka at apple.com
Fri May 30 17:11:37 UTC 2008

The BIND 9 headers are in /usr/include, so your don't really need to
do anything to use them.  The library is in /usr/lib/libresolv.dylib,
so you need to link with -lresolv.  However, the problem you are
running into is the fact that querypref wants constants like PACKETSZ,
and C_IN.  These don't exist in BIND 9.

I don't know if queryperf has been updated to use BIND 9, but in
looking around on FreeBSD and FreshPorts, I see that queryperf has
been replaced by dnsperf and resperf, which are based on BIND 9.  I
just downloaded dnsperf and resperf from http://www.nominum.com/services/measurement_tools.php
  and built them  effortlessly using "configure" and "make" on a
Leopard 10.5.3 system.  Take a look at the dnsperf and resperf man
pages and see if they do what you need.  You may be able to leave
queryperf and the BIND 8 headers in the last century!  :-)

-- Marc