More specific reverse DNS?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Oct 2 07:09:39 UTC 2008

In message <20081001152543.GI12846 at torres.zugschlus.de>, Marc Haber writes:
> Hi,
>
> for various reasons, I am running a local bind on my personal
> notebook. I have loaded empty master zones for the reverse DNS ranges
> for RFC1918:
>
> zone "10.in-addr.arpa"      { type master; file "/etc/bind/db.empty"; };
> (similiar statements for 172.16/12 and 192.168/16 snipped)
>
> I also have a forward zone statements for the IP ranges that my company
> uses in its internal network, forwarding to the actual name servers:
>
> zone "2.1.10.in-addr.arpa" {
>         type forward;
>         forwarders { 10.1.2.11; 10.1.2.15; };
>         forward only;
> };

	There seems to this wish to use forwarders when they really
	are not necessary.

	Use a stub zone to graft on namespace.
	zone "2.1.10.in-addr.arpa" {
		type stub;
		masters { 10.1.2.11; 10.1.2.15; };
		file "stub/2.1.10.in-addr.arpa";
		forwarders { /* empty */ };
	};

	Use a slave zone to graft on namespace.  Presuming your company
	has 10.in-addr.arpa configured use a slave or stub zone.

	zone "10.in-addr.arpa" {
		type slave;
		masters { 10.1.2.11; 10.1.2.15; };
		file "slave/10.in-addr.arpa";
		forwarders { /* empty */ };
	};

	The empty forwarders clauses turn off global forwarding.

> However, it looks like the 10/8 master zone takes preferences, asking
> for 92.2.1.10.in-addr.arpa's PTR record does result in an immediately
> NXDOMAIN without queries being seen on the network.
>
> Do I really need to locally delegate all internal networks from the
> 10.in-addr.arpa zone in addition to the forward statements in my
> named.conf, or is there a way to have bind query the more specific
> loaded zones automatically?

	Delegation is normal.  Forwarding is NOT normal.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org